Sunday, February 17, 2013

Teriyaki Cashew Chicken

This dinner is slightly higher in calories and carbs than I like to promote, but as a quasi-treat, you can't beat it.  Just be careful on calories and carbs the rest of the day and you'll be fine.

Who wouldn't want to have this masterpiece for dinner???

O M G  it is sooooo good!  My husband and kids just love this stuff!  And it's super easy, too, because I use a Kikkoman teriyaki sauce.  I'll tell you later in the post how to make home made teriyaki sauce if you prefer to do that.  It's pretty dang easy too.


This is what I used:
1 bag broccoli slaw
Instant white rice
1.5-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 small can cashew halves/pieces
Sesame seeds
Kikkoman Garlic & Green Onion Teriyaki Sauce
I looked for it at my Super Wal-Mart, and they didn't carry it when I looked.  My neighborhood Fry's carries it, but they just raised the price by 2 freakin' dollars!  I'm going to have to start using my home made teriyaki sauce to save some money.  Both are equally as good, so either way will work.

To start, I bought a bag of Broccoli Slaw from the produce department.  I put it in a bowl with a few Tablespoons of water, covered it and put it in the microwave for 12 minutes.  (Cooking time may vary depending on your microwave.)  While that is cooking...

I got water boiling for instant rice.  I used white, but brown is better for you.  Just follow the instructions on the box.

Then I cooked about 1.5-2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts in a little bit of canola oil over medium high heat.  I cut the breasts into thirds so it would cook faster and more even.  After it cooked I put the chicken on a cutting board and cut it up into bite sized pieces.

I bought a small can of cashew halves and pieces...just a generic brand from Wal Mart for $2.  Cashews can be expensive, so just know you don't need a gourmet brand.  I chopped the cashews up for about 2 seconds in my Ninja Express Chop and put them in a cake pan.  I also poured about 3 Tbsp of sesame seeds onto the pan.  I put the pan in the oven at 375F for about 5-7 minutes.

Drain the pan the chicken cooked in, return it to a medium heat, and put the chicken back in.  I pour almost the whole bottle of sauce into the pan with the chicken.  Stir to coat, and get it warmed back up.  Stir in the nuts and seeds.

If you want to get very accurate about weighing and measuring your portions, I weighed out 4 oz of plain, cooked chicken.  I put it in a separate little saucepan and measured 3 Tbsp of sauce and 1/4 cup of nuts.  That way, my serving was exactly proportioned the way I calculated.  But since my family doesn't exactly weigh and measure their food, I just put the sauce and the rest of the nuts and seeds right in the pan.

Measure out 1/2 C of cooked broccoli slaw and make a ring of around the edge of the plate.  Measure out 1/2 C rice and place in the middle of the plate.  Put the teriyaki chicken on top of the rice.  Ta-da!  You have a gorgeous meal, and it was pretty easy.

If you want to make home made teriyaki sauce, the recipe is as follows:
Ingredients:
2 C chicken broth
1 C low sodium soy sauce
2/3 C brown sugar
3 Tbsp vinegar
4 minced garlic cloves
1 sliced green onion
3 Tbsp corn starch

Put all the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.  In a small bowl mix 2 Tbsp water with 3 Tbsp corn starch.  Pour corn starch into boiling sauce and stir until it thickens.

Very easy!

Here are the nutritional values for 4 oz of chicken, 3 Tbsp Kikkoman teriyaki sauce, 1/2 C white rice, 1/4 C cashews and 1/2 C broccoli slaw:

621.5 calories, 19.5g fat, 2.9g sat fat, 96mg cholesterol, 1081.5mg sodium, 65.5g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 49g protein. (16 Points Plus)

Yes, again I realize that it's a little higher in carbs and calories.  But like I said, if you are careful the rest of the day you will be fine.  It truly is absolutely delicious.  My family was saying constantly throughout dinner, "This is so good!"  and my hubby kept saying, "Great dinner, honey!"

Enjoy!
Lisa
happyfairylove@live.com

P.S.  You can also do it with peanuts or, like I did tonight, a combination of cashews and peanuts.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I have deleted the email address I print at the bottom of every post because I was getting too much inappropriate spam. If you'd like to contact me, email me at:

j u s t h a p p y b e i n g m e (at) l i v e . c o m

Thank you!