Tuesday, August 7, 2012

(Almost) Guilt-Free Decadence

For some people complete abstinence from sweets is the only way that works, because for them it is a landslide...one taste and they go haywire and crave more and more sugary treats.  I have a very good friend, as a matter of fact, for whom this is the only way to go.  For her it works.

For me, it doesn't.  My thought process is that by allowing yourself treats that are not as loaded with carbs, fat and overall calories, you will have your craving satisfied and can refrain from binging.  If I didn't allow myself treats (I have a small something every day as a matter of fact), I would go absolutely insane and go on a binge-fest.  But, seeing as how I am trying to stay in the 1400 calorie per day range, at 180g carbs/day, and at or under 7% saturated fat a day, (more on that another day) I have to be very choosey about what I decide to indulge in.

One of my most favorite things is ice cream!  Creamy, rich, luxurious, cold bites of yumminess...I'm smiling just thinking about it.  I thought I wouldn't be able to have any again.  One of the hard parts is getting a big container of ice cream and then limiting myself to just one 1/2 cup serving.  Sorry, but that just ain't happening.  My very favorite used to be Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie in the pint container.  How many servings is that?  One, if you ask me!  But no.  It's actually FOUR 1/2 cup servings.  Riiiight.  Do you know how many calories are in a serving?  Better yet, I'll tell you the nutritional facts of the whole container because that's how I used to polish them off.  Ready for this? 1040 calories!  36g saturated fat! 128g carbs!  Holy cow it makes me cringe in horror at the thought of that's what I used to have.  Well, sometimes if I was "being good" I'd only have 1/2 a container.  lol like that would really make a difference.  The point is:
No more Ben & Jerry's for me!  So what is a girl to do when the unbearable craving for some good ice cream hits?  I have the perfect solution.  Skinny Cow ice cream in the single serving containers!  Single serving is great because it means there is no room to over indulge.  To replace the B&J Chocolate Fudge Brownie I first tried Skinny Cow Chocolate Fudge Brownie.   
Hallelujah!

Oh, I thought I had died and gone to Heaven!  It is rich and creamy, just the way good ice cream should be.  Chocolatey and delicious!  Each container has 150 calories, just 1g of saturated fat, 29g carbs, and it even has 4g fiber and 5g protein for good measure!  What a glorious concoction.

But wait!  There's more!  I got daring and decided to try a different flavor.  Tonight I had Skinny Cow Caramel Cone.  Holy cow! (Nope, Skinny Cow) It was absolutely Heavenly, and it is now my new favorite!
Now, I have to tell you that mine did not look like this picture.  Sorry, I should have taken a photo of my actual container before I devoured it.  Mine had one pocket of caramel off to the side, so with each little bite I gave a little dip into that golden pool of goodness.  In addition to the caramel, it had little bits of chocolatey crunchies in it.  Yum-o!  This single serving of ice cream has a few more calories at 160, 2g saturated fat, 33g carbs, 4g fiber and 4g protein. 

Granted, these are not treats I would have every single day, but for that "omg I need some ice cream" moment, you have got to try the Skinny Cow ice creams.  Take little bites, though.  A single serving doesn't last long if you go at it like I used to when hitting a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's.  I will for sure be buying the Caramel Cone again.  I'm sure it varies in different parts of the country, but for me it was cheapest for $1.22 at my Super Wal-Mart.

Learn to have treats in moderation, of course.  And buying single serving packaging can really help in not over-eating a sweet delight.  I cannot wait to try the strawberry cheesecake flavor!

Want to contact me?  I'm at happyfairylove@live.com.

Happy Treats!
Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment

I have deleted the email address I print at the bottom of every post because I was getting too much inappropriate spam. If you'd like to contact me, email me at:

j u s t h a p p y b e i n g m e (at) l i v e . c o m

Thank you!