Thursday, August 9, 2012

My Recipe for Scrumptious Quesadillas

One of the new staples in my house is my wonderful chicken cooked in the crock pot that I use to make quesadillas with.  I just came up with it one day, and did it ever turn out awesome!  And, it's low carb, relatively good on calories for a dinner and super good on the protein, too.

The nutritional information for 1 quesadilla using the ingredients listed is:  515 calories; 35g carbs; a whopping 36.5g protein; 10.3g saturated fat; and 4g fiber.  (Serving: 1 quesadilla)

You can lower the overall calories and carbs by choosing reduced fat cheese, reduced fat sour cream, and  healthier tortillas such as Smart & Delicious brand.

Ingredients:

About 3 average sized chicken breasts, frozen
1 medium onion, diced
1 small can diced green chiles
2 8oz pkgs shredded cheese, like colby jack or cheddar
1 pkg fajita size flour tortillas (I used Wal-Mart's Great Value brand at 80 calories each)
1 pkg taco seasoning (Please see this post for clean, easily home made taco seasoning)
Sour Cream
Salsa
Non-stick pan spray

1.  Place frozen chicken, diced onion and can of green chiles in a crock pot.

2.  Set the timer for 5 or 6 hours on low, or about 4 hours on high.
3.  After the chicken has cooked through, use two forks (or a fork and knife) to pull the chicken into shreds.  It will be very tender and it is very easy to do.  Do not drain the liquid from the crock pot, btw.
4.  Add in 1 packet of taco seasoning and stir it all up.
5.  Hopefully you have a griddle, otherwise you can use a large skillet over med-high heat.  Spray the surface lightly with pan spray.
6.  Using your digital kitchen scale I suggested you buy, measure out 3 oz of chicken.   (I measured out 2.5 oz in this photo because I had extra people to feed and didn't have a lot of chicken to begin with.)
7.  Put tortillas on griddle and spread chicken to cover tortilla.  Use a measuring cup to measure out 1/2 cup cheese and spread on top of chicken.
8.  Put another tortilla on top and spray the tops lightly with cooking spray.  Let cook for a few minutes.
9.  After about 3 minutes lift up a quesadilla to check if the bottom is lightly browned and crispy.  When the bottom is done, carefully flip over each quesadilla with a spatula and cook the other side.
10.  Place on a plate and cut into quarters (a pizza cutter makes it super easy).  Serve with salsa and sour cream.  For more yumminess, also serve with guacamole and you can maybe put sliced olives inside the tortilla as well.  Just make sure you figure up the added calories and carbs for whatever toppings you choose. (note:  included in the nutritional information is 2 Tbsp each sour cream and salsa.)

btw, this makes the house smell awesome as it cooks in the crock pot.  I hope you enjoy my recipe for quesadillas.  The amount of carbs fits in perfectly with the diabetic guidelines.

If you'd like to drop me a line, I'm at happyfairylove@live.com.

Enjoy!
Lisa












No comments:

Post a Comment

I have deleted the email address I print at the bottom of every post because I was getting too much inappropriate spam. If you'd like to contact me, email me at:

j u s t h a p p y b e i n g m e (at) l i v e . c o m

Thank you!