Friday, September 14, 2012

Apples and Dip - Great Snack! (Recipe, Pics)

Here is a really great snack idea.  I was going to say it's super for after school for the kids, but then that would leave me out, wouldn't it?  I'll say it's a "good for anyone in the afternoon" snack.  I got the recipe idea from dLife, but I tell you, I never get the number of servings they say or the nutritional breakdowns they do.  We'll just go with what I got since it's going to be more accurate to how I made it.

Here's what you need:

1/4 C creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp honey
1/2 C mini chocolate chips
2 Tbsp raisins
1/2 small apple per serving, sliced (my 1/2 apple was 1.75 oz, cored but not peeled)
Then all you do is mix it in a bowl, slice up your apples and there you go.  I measured seven 1 Tbsp servings of peanut butter dip.



Now, the way it was supposed to be made it you core out the apples (but leave them whole) and stuff the dip down into the center.  Then you chill them for an hour or two and make ring style slices so the dip is in the middle of the apple ring.  And the recipe says you are supposed to get 24 servings using 4 apples.  Right.  So I guess according to them 1 serving would be like 1 bite.  That just doesn't work in my world.

Here are the stats for the nutritional stuff with the ingredients I used with the amount of apple I used...  173.2 calories, 9g fat, 3.7g saturated fat, 1.3g polyunsaturated fat, 2g monounsaturated fat, 43.6mg potassium, 22.5g carb, 1.9g fiber, 2.4g protein.  It's a little high in calories, primarily due to the chocolate chips. (5 Points Plus)  But guess what I saw at my Super Wal-Mart!  Sugar Free Chocolate Chips!  I almost got them, but I only had a few dollars on me and they were a little more expensive than the regular minis.  Using the sugar free chocolate would save about 50 calories per serving, and that is quite significant.  They didn't come in the mini morsels, but they could easily be chopped up a little with a knife or put in the food processor for a quick chop.  Just make sure to measure them first and chop them up second.  If you chop them up first, you will fit a lot more into the measuring cup than if you put them in at regular size which will throw off your nutritional data.

When you need a quick pick-me-up in the afternoon, or your kids need a good snack that's a little different than the standard chips or cookies you need to give this a try.  It's super quick and easy to throw together, and it tastes heavenly.  Sara and Matthew both had some and they scarfed it down.  Definitely passed the kid taste test.  Oh!  And I forgot...I also thought it would be super tasty with some crushed peanuts or pecans in it.  Would add a little more in the calories and stuff, but nuts are really good for you.  Just a thought.  I think I'll try that next time.

Snack Away!
Lisa
PS  Hover over the black bar on the right to pull out more menu options for my blog.
happyfairylove@live.com







No comments:

Post a Comment

I have deleted the email address I print at the bottom of every post because I was getting too much inappropriate spam. If you'd like to contact me, email me at:

j u s t h a p p y b e i n g m e (at) l i v e . c o m

Thank you!