Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pork It's What's For Dinner (Recipe, Pics, Review)

I don't know about you, but I LOVE pork.  Any of it.  All of it.  I think it's my favorite kind of meat.  And I like it in very specific ways.  I'm picky, and so is my family.  So it was a little scary when I went outside our comfort zone and made pork in a whole new way (for us, at least).  Usually I use Shake N Bake pork chops, or if I feel like making a really big mess I use eggs, flour, fry on each side and then bake.  Haven't done that in a while, though.  It is VERY messy and takes a long time.  Tonight's dinner was easy, no fuss no muss.  That's the way I like it!  I made Apple Mustard Glazed Pork Chops.  How does that sound?  I've always heard that apples go well with pork, but I've never tried it.  So tonight was a first for us.  Here's what you need:

1 lb Boneless Center Cut Pork Chops 3/4" thick (trim fat if there's a lot)
Pepper
1 tsp Canola Oil
1/4 C Apple Juice
2 Tbsp Apple Jelly
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard

My regular grocery store (Fry's) didn't carry any apple jelly.  I found a jar, though, at Super Wal-Mart for just $1.50.  I'm sure healthy food stores would carry it, too.

Here's what you do to make the chops:

1.  Season with a little pepper.  Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium high heat and brown chops on one side.
2.  Mix juice, jelly and mustard in a little dish.  I used a fork to mash up the jelly to get it mixed together well.
3.  Turn chops.  Add juice/jelly/mustard mixture to skillet.

4.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes.  To check doneness, cut into the middle of the thickest chop and make sure it's cooked through before removing from heat.

That's it!!!  One little dish and one pan!  wooo hooo!  I was very nervous to serve this to my family since they are not used to the flavors.  But my kids came through for me.  They loved it!  Matthew had a 2nd piece, and Sara went and got extra pan sauce for hers.  My husband, Jeff, ate his up pretty quickly.  It was a success!  Yea!  It was even easier and less messy than Shake N Bake.  I love easy and no mess.

Here are the nutritional values for 1/4th of recipe (4 oz piece of meat and 1/4 of pan sauce):  300 calories, 5.8g fat, 4.1g saturated fat, 2.2g polyunsaturated fat, 84mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 490mg potassium, 8.4g carb, 32g protein.  (5 Points Plus) It's a little high in calories, but definitely worth it.  The carb count and grams of protein are phenomenal, though.

So go ahead and try something new....Apple Mustard-Glazed Pork Chops is a good place to start!  If you'd like to leave a comment, please do.  You can always reach me, too, at happyfairylove@live.com.

UPDATE:  I made 8 pork chops, and after everyone ate, there was just one left.  Matthew, my 12 year old, came in about 2 hours after dinner and asked me if he could have another dinner.  So, he ate the last one.  Jeff had I think 3 chops himself.  I wanted more, but I stuck to 1 serving like a good girl.  Jeff said numerous times throughout the evening how good the chops were.  Point is, the family REALLY loved these chops.  I hope yours does too!

Eat Happy!
Lisa
PS  If you'd like to see more about me or my blog, want to see my links, see the archives list or key word search for my blog, hover over the black bar on the right to pull out more menu options.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious Lisa. Dont you love it when your entire faily loves a dish? Makes it all worthwhile. I will try this one soon. Give yourself a pat on the back for sticking with 1.

    ReplyDelete

I have deleted the email address I print at the bottom of every post because I was getting too much inappropriate spam. If you'd like to contact me, email me at:

j u s t h a p p y b e i n g m e (at) l i v e . c o m

Thank you!