Sunday, September 9, 2012

Eggs on the Go (Recipe, Pics)

I was going to make a recipe one day last week that called for egg substitute.  When I went shopping I picked up a little container of Egg Beaters, but what I didn't realize is that I picked up the Southwestern Style Egg Beaters instead of plain.  oops.  I don't think the dessert I was going to make would taste good with peppers and spices.  So it sat in my refrigerator for a while.

In the meantime, I have received several emails from Hungry Girl with recipe ideas for Eggs in a Mug.  I didn't have the directions in front of me when I did it, but how hard could it be, right?  I sprayed a coffee mug with pan spray.  Then I shook up the Egg Beaters, measured out 3/4 C, which is equal to 3 eggs in baking, and poured it into the cup.  I got 2 slices of Jennie-O 98% Fat Free Turkey Ham and cut it up into pieces.  I added that to the eggs and gave a little stir.  I did not know how long to cook it for, so I just put it in for about 45 seconds.  It was not near done, so I just gave a quick stir and put it back in.  I put it in for another minute and checked again.  Still didn't seem to be done.  Stirred it again.  Put it back in for another 30 seconds.  I think I ended up cooking it for about 3 1/2 minutes.  At the last little bit I put a little sprinkle of grated cheese on top and nuked it for about 15 seconds with the cheese on it.
My eggs look a little small in this mug.  That's because it's a pretty big mug.  It was more than enough to fill me up.
Caution:  The mug was VERY hot.  After I let it cool a bit I was able to eat it, because right out of the microwave it is entirely toooooo hot.  Good thing there's a handle on the mug!  The Southwestern Style flavor of the Egg Beaters was really good.  Nice little kick to it, but not overly so.  The turkey ham was also a good idea.  I like meat in my eggs.  The one thing that is not so good about Egg Beaters?  The price!!!  I can't remember the exact price but for a small container it was something like $3.79, and it's only the equivalent of 7 eggs!  That's an expensive dozen eggs, for sure. 

The nutritional information, though, is very different on the Egg Beaters vs regular shelled eggs. 
1 Real Egg                               1/4 C Egg Beater (1 egg equivalent)
70 calories                               25 calories
fat 5g                                       fat 0g
saturated fat 1.5g                      saturated fat 0g
cholesterol 185mg                    cholesterol 0mg

Having 3/4C of the Egg Beaters saved me 135 calories over 3 regular eggs.  That's a pretty big difference.  For the price it's not something I would do all the time, but I'm sure there are those out there who can afford it.  Maybe what I might do is mix 1/4C egg beater, 1 whole egg and 1 egg white.   An egg white only has 17 calories in it, so that mixture would save (over 3 real eggs) about 98 calories, and 370mg cholesterol, which is still pretty significant.  That might be a good choice, and a little more economical.  If you get the plain flavor you can do all sorts of things with your Eggs in a Mug.  Add anything you would to an omelet.  I am going to try a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese in one, cut up into pieces and melted as it cooks.

Oh, I was going to mention that I checked the directions Hungry Girl gives for the Eggs in a Mug, and she says to cook it for 1 minute, stir and cook for another 30-45 seconds.  Mine definitely weren't done in that amount of time.  Maybe it's because I used more Egg Beaters, or maybe my microwave is different....or a combination of both.  Point is, just try it and see what works with your oven.

If you're a little short on time but want still want to have a healthy, filling breakfast, try cooking up some Egg Beaters in a mug with your favorite fillings and take it with you.

Have a Good Morning and Don't Skip Breakfast!

Lisa
PS  Hover over the bar on the right to pull out more options for my blog.
happyfairylove@live.com or leave a comment with your suggestions, thoughts and ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I have deleted the email address I print at the bottom of every post because I was getting too much inappropriate spam. If you'd like to contact me, email me at:

j u s t h a p p y b e i n g m e (at) l i v e . c o m

Thank you!